Thursday, July 12, 2007

14 Strikes and you're out


Well, since my last post, I've gotten a letter of rejection from Galway and I've gotten an email back from HPU saying that my rejection letter is in the mail. So, the search for 2007-2008 is over and it was a losing season. My batting average was 0 for 14.......

Cal State Northridge
(my alma mater) - Rejection letter
Cal State Channel Islands - Rejection email
Cal State Dominguez Hills - Rejection letter
Cal Poly - Rejection Letter
Vermont - Rejection Letter
Oklahoma - Never heard back
Ventura College - Search canceled for budgetary reasons
Franklin College, Switzerland - Never heard back
Command & General Staff College - Position already filled
Dublin - Rejection letter
University South Florida - Never heard back
UC Riverside - Never heard back
Galway - Rejection letter
Hawaii Pacific - Rejection letter in the mail.

So, should I try the 2008-2009 draft or should I just take the hint and find another career.................

4 comments:

amikaberidze said...

Condolences my friend! I hope you will find something soon. If not, you can use this:

The Ultimate Rejection Letter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Herbert A. Millington
Chair - Search Committee
412A Clarkson Hall, Whitson University
College Hill, MA 34109

Dear Professor Millington,

Thank you for your letter of March 16. After careful consideration, I
regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me
an assistant professor position in your department.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually
large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field
of candidates, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite Whitson's outstanding qualifications and previous experience in
rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs at
this time. Therefore, I will assume the position of assistant professor
in your department this August. I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely,
Chris L. Jensen

Brian Smith said...

I'm sorry to hear about this. It might not be an either/or. I've known a lot of profs who spent a few years working outside and tried again when the right job opened.

I forwarded you one sort of thing you might look at. I can get you access to a georgetown list-serv of military/political related jobs where a phd in mil hist might have a shot. Let me know if you want it.

Anonymous said...

Nice Blog! Keep your head up, you'll find something soon enough.

Brock n roll Ramirez said...

I think you should go with Aleko's letter. Try sending that to all 14..see what you get back..hahahaha