Thursday, March 29, 2007

Bad Moon on the Rise!

I see the bad moon arising.
I see trouble on the way.
I see earthquakes and lightnin'.
I see bad times today.

Don't go around tonight,
Well, its bound to take your life,
Theres a bad moon on the rise.

I hear hurricanes ablowing.
I know the end is coming soon.
I fear rivers over flowing.
I hear the voice of rage and ruin.

All right!

Hope you got your things together.
Hope you are quite prepared to die.
Looks like we're in for nasty weather.
One eye is taken for an eye.






As some of you may have seen on the news, there was trouble in the Gare de Nord in Paris on Monday. While nowhere near the 'action', Marie-Eve and I had the 'pleasure' of taking the 7-line metro which passed through the station as we made our way home from visiting friends who live near Stalingrad. As the metro pulled into the station, we saw a number of people on the platform with the fronts of their shirts pulled over part of their faces.

Luckily they did not turn out to be those who were causing the trouble but unfortunate bystanders trying to escape the chaos. As the train doors opened, the guy waiting to get in started to warn people not to go out as there was some sort of gas in the station. Soon everyone throughout the train car began to react to the tear gas. Although it was only less than a minute, it seemed like the train remained at the platform for an eternity. Even after we left, people still continued to hack and cough, with their eyes tearing up. Bienvenue to the real France. The tension is on the rise as France heads into a very important election.

2 comments:

amikaberidze said...

Oh, the sweet smell/taste of French tear gas:) By the way, have you seen the cover of the recent issue of The Economist?

Kenneth Johnson said...

Just saw it! Damn funny. I've been thinking about the connections. Think about it! Chirac represents the Directory, a corrupt government that never seems to solve France's problems. What does France look to, but a strict hardliner - Sarkozy! He doesn't have military experience, but I don't think he would hesitate to roll out cannons and give the rioters a "whiff of grapeshot". ;) :D