Sunday, June 3, 2007

The Search


Well, since last fall, I've been searching for various teaching jobs across the United States and Europe. Going into the search, I knew the odds were not in my favor. However, it is still depressing to get the rejection letter in the mail. Even worse are those that you never hear from, which leave you with a lingering bit of hope of some surprise call. As the months drag on, however, without any word, this lingering hope slowly converts to bitter disappointment.

So far here is the list:

Cal State Northridge (my alma mater) - Rejection letter (see photo to the left)
Cal State Channel Islands - Rejection email
Cal State Dominguez Hills - Never heard back
Cal Poly - Rejection Letter
Vermont - Rejection Letter
Oklahoma - Never heard back
Ventura College - Search canceled for budgetary reasons
Franklin College, Switzerland - Never heard back
Command & General Staff College - Position already filled

Applications still out:
Dublin
Galway
Hawaii Pacific
University South Florida
UC Riverside

The depressing search continues..........

4 comments:

Blackspecs said...

Oh well my friend ...... that way we can continue to hang out and kill time and beers ;)

you'll be laughing once Hawaii hires you !!!!

Kenneth Johnson said...

Definitely my friend. Thanks for the section of the Black Swan. It was a pleasant read and helped pick up my spirits on the way hope from work.

amikaberidze said...

Paraphrasing Danton, Perseverance, Perseverance and Perseverance more, and the job will be yours:)

By the way, check ABC-CLIO site for ad on my position, maybe you will like it.

Brian Harrison Mack said...

Man Kenny, that sucks, you could have been colleagues with my old Modern European History professor Donal O'Sullivan. He was a cool guy. Born Irish and raised in Germany; I recall he studied at the same university of Karl Marx, which I forget at the moment.